27 April 2016 · Motoring Tips & Advice

Renewing Your Registration Made Easy | Phil Gilbert Toyota

If you choose to drive a vehicle on Australian roads, whether it’s a car, motorcycle, truck or van, registration is simply a fact of life. Ignoring your rego notice, or not understanding the repercussions of driving an unregistered vehicle, can lead to serious trouble – both financially and legally.

Renew Your Rego Online

Renew Your Rego Online

These days, most vehicles can simply be renewed online, giving you no excuse for not having time to pay it! To do this online, you’ll need the details provided on your renewal notice.

You can also pay by phone, post, or in person at any registry or service centre.

However, there are 2 things you’ll need to do before you can renew:

  1. Organise an inspection (if required)
  2. Purchase Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance

Read on to find out more about those 2 steps, as well as some important information that can help you with the process. 

What you need to know

Organise a Vehicle Inspection

To be registered in NSW, most vehicles will require an annual inspection, unless the vehicle is exempt. Check your registration renewal notice to see whether this exemption applies to you, or if your vehicle will need an inspection.

If it does need to be inspected, you’ll need to organise this with an examiner authorised by Roads and Maritime. Your examiner will send the inspection result to Roads and Maritime electronically.

What you need to know

Make Sure You Renew by the Due Date

This is the most important thing you need to know about registration. If you don’t make your payment by the due date your vehicle will be unregistered. If you’re thinking this isn’t such a big deal, think again.

Driving an unregistered car is illegal and can lead to very serious consequences, financially and legally. 

Obtain CTP Insurance

If your car is unregistered your CTP insurance will also not be valid.

CTP insurance provides cover for death and personal injury when you, or the person driving your vehicle, is at fault in an accident.

If you then have an accident and you’re found to be at fault, you may be held personally liable for compensation to any person injured. That could amount to tens of thousands of dollars, making driving without CTP simply not worth the risk.

You won’t be able to renew your NSW registration until Roads and Maritime has confirmation of your CTP insurance. Most insurers send your CTP insurance details to Roads and Maritime electronically, making it a simple process. 

Caught Driving an Unregistered Vehicle?

Caught Driving an Unregistered Vehicle?

If you’re caught driving an unregistered vehicle on NSW roads you will be liable for heavy penalties, including substantial monetary fines and loss of points from your drivers licence.

Police will immediately remove your vehicle’s number plates and may even seize your vehicle. 

Need More Information?

For NSW drivers, you can find more information about renewing your registration on the NSW Roads and Maritime website.

You can also contact Phil Gilbert Toyota for more information about vehicle inspections, or to book your car in for a professional service, whatever its make and model.